Instrument Operations Manager
Argonne National Laboratory, in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Energy’s Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) user facility, is looking for an instrument operations manager (IOM).
The primary responsibility in this position will be to fulfill the ARM IOM responsibilities. Among those responsibilities is the management, facilitation, and contribution to instrument planning and operation. The IOM must utilize an understanding of measurements to identify and communicate instrumentation solutions for gaps and insufficiencies between the ARM instrument network and scientific measurement needs. Participation in the ARM measurement strategy development, scientific discussions, and relevant conferences keep the IOM aware of the current and future needs.
The distributed nature of ARM requires management of instrument expertise and contracts across many institutions of different types. Synthesizing and communicating information provided by and needed by this expertise is critical.
As a technical expert within the Argonne organization, this position may be called on to contribute to strategic development, program management, participation in research and field campaigns as needed and directed.
- Knowledge of land and atmospheric measurements and their use
- Familiarity with land and atmospheric instrumentation, uncertainty, and capabilities
- Knowledge of atmospheric processes and model representation of these processes
- Skill in effective leadership in teamwork environments
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication
- Skill in diplomatic, effective interaction with program staff, peers, agencies, sponsors, and private-sector representatives
- Organizational skills and flexibility in coordinating a broad spectrum of activities
Level (Grade) RD1 Requirements: Bachelor’s degree and 0 years, master’s and 0 years, or equivalent.
Level (Grade) RD2 Requirements: Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years, master’s and 3+ years, doctorate and 0 years, or equivalent.
To submit your application, go to the Argonne “Apply for a Job” website.