U.S. Department of Energy
The Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) user facility is managed by and accountable to the Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science.
Program Manager: Sally McFarlane, ARM Infrastructure and Science, in the DOE Office of Biological and Environmental Research (BER) Earth and Environmental Systems Sciences Division
Infrastructure Management Board
The DOE works with the ARM Infrastructure Management Board (IMB) to manage ARM, with input from the research community and ARM staff.
Members of the IMB represent:
- Technical Director’s Office
- Associate Director for Operations
- Atmospheric observatory operations
- Data services
- Instrument operations.
The IMB is responsible for:
- strategic planning
- managing components of ARM and communicating the status of those elements to DOE
- maintaining the overall ARM budget
- reviewing use requests for ARM.
Infrastructure Management Board Chart
Technical Director’s Office
The day-to-day technical activities of ARM—planning, budgeting, contracting, and interactions with the science community—are led by the ARM Technical Director Jim Mather.
The Technical Director’s Office:
- coordinates field research campaign proposals
- helps coordinate implementation of approved campaigns
- oversees the operation and enhancement of ARM
- responds to review committees
- coordinates, plans, and implements communications with the science community
- ensures DOE user facility policies and reporting requirements are followed
- manages the ARM inter-laboratory integrated budget
- procures instruments and equipment
- manages change to ARM.
The ARM Technical Administrator Kim Stewart is often the first contact for people encountering ARM.
Technical Director Organization Chart
Associate Director for Operations
The Associate Director for Operations Nicki Hickmon is responsible for ensuring efficient, effective, and continuous operation of instruments and data systems and helps coordinate the review of field campaigns.
The Associate Director for Operations also serves as the communication link between the:
Operations Organization Chart