In addition to measurement category, location, and active and retired status, data sources can be searched by type–baseline, evaluation, guest, external, and PI.
- Baseline: An instrument that is part of an ARM atmospheric observatory or campaign, or a production-status VAP which has had ARM quality control and data standards applied.
- Evaluation: A proposed baseline VAP currently undergoing evaluation. In this stage, feedback is encouraged from the scientific community.
- Guest: An instrument or VAP supplied by a principal investigator, or an ARM VAP where an algorithm has been applied to an instrument(s), that was included in a campaign.
- External: An instrument or VAP provided by an external organization.
- PI: These data sources are initiated by a principal investigator (PI) who developed a data product and submitted it to ARM. ARM translators may pick PI data sources that provide important new information or are recommended by the science community for further evaluation as a VAP.