The Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) user facility has a position open for a radar engineer who will assist in the maintenance and application of a global radar network at its Southern Great Plains (SGP) atmospheric observatory. ARM operates and maintains a network of fixed and mobile observatories providing data to the atmospheric research community. ARM sites include a broad array of instrumentation, including radars, lidars, radiometers, and meteorological sensors. Recently, ARM expanded its suite of cloud and precipitation radars in number and capability.
The successful candidate will perform calibration routines, diagnostics of electronic subsystems, analysis of system health, routine maintenance, and repairs of radars in the ARM radar network at the SGP. The position will require interaction on a daily basis with project managers, site operations, and ARM radar engineers to assess the status of radars.
Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)-accredited university with satisfactory completion of classes and/or experience in:
- use of electronic and radio frequency test equipment
- pulse Doppler radar
- digital signal processing
- computer hardware/software integration
- system design/integration
- communications theory
- data analysis software (MATLAB, Python, etc.)
- Linux environment.
A successful candidate will:
- have strong communication (written and oral) skills
- have technical writing skills
- have enthusiasm
- be a strong team player with the ability to work independently
- be willing to travel (including international travel) for up to several weeks at a time
- be willing to work at varying hours during ARM field campaigns
- have excellent analytical skills.
Due to export control issues, U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status is desired.
This position is located in a rural location at the U.S. Department of Energy’s SGP site near Lamont, Oklahoma, and is operated by Native Energy and Technology, San Antonio, Texas. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please email résumé to: HR@ops.sgp.arm.gov
Human Resource Department
109596 Coal Road
Billings, OK 74630