U.S. Department of Energy
The ARM Climate Research Facility is managed by and accountable to the Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science.
Program Manager: Sally McFarlane, ARM Climate Research Facility Infrastructure and Science, in the DOE Office of Biological and Environmental Research (BER) Climate and Environmental Sciences Division
Program Manager: Rick Petty, ARM Aerial Facility, in the DOE Office of Biological and Environmental Research (BER) Climate and Environmental Sciences Division
Infrastructure Management Board
The DOE works with the ARM Infrastructure Management Board (IMB) to manage the ARM Facility, with input from the research community and facility staff.
Members of the IMB represent:
- Technical Director’s Office
- Associate Director of Operations
- Atmospheric observatory operations
- Data services
- Instrument operations
The IMB is responsible for:
- strategic planning
- managing components of the facility and communicating the status of those facility elements to DOE
- maintaining the overall ARM budget
- reviewing use requests for the ARM Facility.
Infrastructure Management Board Chart
Technical Director’s Office
The day-to-day technical activities of the ARM Facility—planning, budgeting, contracting, and interactions with the science community—are led by the ARM Technical Director Jim Mather.
The Technical Director’s Office
- coordinates field research campaign proposals
- helps coordinate implementation of approved campaigns
- oversees the operation and enhancement of the Facility
- responds to review committees
- coordinates, plans, and implements communications with the science community
- ensures DOE User Facility policies and reporting requirements are followed
- manages the ARM inter-laboratory integrated budget
- procures instruments and equipment
- manages change to the Facility
The ARM Technical Administrator Deborah Alexander is often the first contact for people encountering ARM.
Technical Director’s Office Organization Chart
Associate Director of Operations
The Associate Director of Operations Nicki Hickmon is responsible for ensuring efficient, effective, and continuous operation of instruments and data systems and helps coordinate the review of field campaigns.
The Associate Director of Operations also serves as the communication link between the:
Operations Organization Chart