Working together, nine U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratories manage and operate the ARM Climate Research Facility. This partnership supports the DOE efforts to better understand and predict Earth’s climate in order to develop sustainable solutions to the nation’s energy and environmental challenges.
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne National Laboratory is responsible for:
- Managing the Southern Great Plains atmospheric observatory, the largest, most extensive ARM site
- Securing the data systems and communications for all the ARM observatories
- Leading all the instrument mentors as well as mentoring select instruments
- Developing science data products for the precipitation radars.
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Brookhaven National Laboratory is responsible for:
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is responsible for:
- Mentoring carbon flux and trace carbon concentration instruments.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is responsible for:
- Developing science data products that link ARM observations with global climate models.
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos National Laboratory is responsible for:
- Managing and operating the Eastern North Atlantic (ENA) atmospheric observatory and the first ARM Mobile Facility (AMF1) and second AMF (AMF2)
- Developing and maintaining process-driven, web-based applications supporting site operations and engineering.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is responsible for:
- Implementing the overall technical direction of the user facility and operations, including
- Developing strategies for the ARM Facility
- Managing the multi-laboratory integrated budget
- Providing oversight of operations and engineering activities
- Managing and operating the ARM Aerial Facility
- Managing the engineering process and setting engineering priorities
- Managing the flow of raw data from all ARM atmospheric observatories to the ARM Data Center
- Managing the processing of raw data
- Mentoring select instruments
- Managing ARM Communications, including
- Managing and designing the ARM website
- Providing public information products and services.