ARM Developers Seek to Improve Data Flow
Key topics discussed at the Developers Meeting included data versioning, database improvements, on-demand data product generation, delivery of data quality information, and inter-operability with other climate data portals—such as NCAR's Earth System Grid—to increase efficiency in data flow, data discovery, and delivery. In the long term, the group's goals are to:
- share ARM data easily with other agencies by setting metadata standards in compliance with other agencies for ARM products
- visualize data before ordering data
- enable users to create custom data sets
- formalize and implement efficient procedures for adding new instruments, sites, or AMF locations into ARM operational processes
- visualize the latest updates to data when they change (e.g., due to instrument calibration or algorithm enhancement)
- take full advantage of high-performance supercomputing capabilities.
With goals from the Developers Meeting in mind, various groups will work on action items in the coming year to monitor and continuously align infrastructure project activities with the five-year strategy.