Instrument : Whole Sky Imager (WSI)
Note: wsi is currently inactive and/or retired.
1993.01.01 - 2004.01.10
The whole-sky imager (WSI) is an automated imager used for assessing and documenting cloud fields
and cloud field dynamics. The WSI is a ground-based electronic imaging system that monitors the upper
hemisphere. It is a passive, i.e., non-emissive, system that acquires images of the sky dome through three spectral filters (neutral, red, and blue). From these sky images, we can assess the presence, distribution, shape, and radiance of clouds over the entire sky using automated cloud decision algorithms and related processing. The current WSI model (EO System 6) is capable of image acquisition under daylight, moonlight, and starlight conditions.
Output Value-Added Products
This instrument is an input to the following value-added products, which provide improved measurements or derived quantities.
- wsicloudden : WSI: stationary (JPEG) images based on optical density retrieval
- wsicloudspec : WSI: stationary (JPEG) images based on spectral retrieval
- wsicloudsummary : WSI: cloud and aerosol info, classification summary data
- wsicloudsummarygif : WSI: images (GIF) relating to cloud, aerosol summary data
- wsifilesummary : WSI: images (GIF) and text representations of data existence
- 02wsipartradjpg : WSI: stationary calibrated red or clear quicklook images (JPEG), 2-min intervals
- 02wsipartradmpg : WSI: calibrated red or clear quicklook movies (MPEG), 2-min intervals
- 10wsipartradjpg : WSI: stationary calibrated red or clear quicklook images (JPEG), 10 min intervals
- 10wsipartradmpg : WSI: calibrated red or clear quicklook movies (MPEG), 10 min intervals
The following measurements are those considered scientifically relevant.
|North Slope Alaska|
|NSA||C1||Browse Data||Central Facility, Barrow AK|
|NSA||C2||Browse Data||Central Facility, Atqasuk AK|
|Southern Great Plains|
|SGP||C1||Browse Data||Central Facility, Lamont, OK|
|SGP||L3||Browse Data||Blackwell/Tonkawa Airport, OK|
|Tropical Western Pacific|
|TWP||C1||Browse Data||Central Facility, Manus I., PNG|
|TWP||C2||Browse Data||Central Facility, Nauru Island|
|TWP||C3||Browse Data||Central Facility, Darwin, Australia|